Monday, June 6, 2011

NEW Women's Leadership

In June 2010 I had the opportunity to attend a 5 day seminar called the NEW Women's Leadership Institute which was one of the most inspirational times of my life.  I was surrounded by some of the most fabulous women I have ever met, the motivation to change the world could be felt on all levels, and the passion that the women had could be felt while they spoke.  This year I was asked to come and speak as an outstanding alumni to share my story, what I have done since last year, and to share some advice with this years attendance.  I was extremely nervous as I kept reciting words in my head, trying to make sense of my life and its direction so that I could share it with others. 

    I sat on a panel with five other alumni, all attendants from 2008, 2006 or 2004, which made me feel slightly insecure as they were all on quite a path.  My accomplishments felt like didly compared to the executive director, the woman working for the state doing amazing grassroots work, and the woman who is making waves for GLBT rights through grassroots movements as well.  However, as I sat there I just thought, "Everyone has a story... I just graduated and just attended last year... where will I be in five years?  Maybe doing similar things as they are?"  and I became comfortable with myself. 

I stood up to speak, stood behind the podium for a second, explained my hatred of podiums as they feel so restricting and stepped in front of it to share my story.  I began with a nervous joke, thanks to my husband, and began to share my story of being a teenage mom, struggling through an unhealthy teen/ early adult relationship, barely making it through my first year of college, but never giving up my dream.  I skipped years and talked about moving to Frazee because there was a pretty lake, meeting my husband, having my family, creating our own dairy farm, and attending college once again.  College is what led me to the seminar and I am ever so grateful.  I shared how it changed my perspective of seeing myself as someone without the ability to make changes since I was a "nobody" to seeing how anyone can make changes if they are willing to try.  Creating and capturing opportunities is all it takes.  Instead of walking away or staying quiet when someone is speaking about an interest of yours, speak up.

3 comments:

  1. Karen, I wish I could have been there. It sounds like you gave a wonderful speech. Good for you, and for putting your accomplishments, which are admirable, into perspective when you thought about the other alumnis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I like the cartoon in your column! I have to speek in public a lot, and I still get somewhat nervous - depends on the situation. I recall speaking at a national conference one time about child support. I had a picture of Brenda's children sitting on the podium. I choked up when I talked about them. It did make for a very effective speech. The Feds asked if I would speak in front of congress. Not sure how good I would be at turning on the spigot multiple times. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like most of us have become too busy this summer to blog. Understandable.

    ReplyDelete