Thursday, August 16, 2012

Education: Phase 3

I've been rampantly checking the mail daily, nervously awaiting one piece of paper that would either say, "accepted" or "declined".  After what seemed like years (or maybe one month) it finally arrived.   "Congratulations!" was all I saw and I cried.  

  I never thought I would have a Masters Degree in Community Development, especially from NDSU.  When I was a child I was going to go to the University of Minnesota to be a Veterinarian.  Then I took Chemistry.   Maybe not... 

I found a love of political science, communication studies and social sciences.  After returning to college 8 years after my first attempt I fell in love with the social work field.  Hence I am a licensed social worker now.  I love social work, the theories and models, but I am not into one-to-one counseling. 


I love macro social work: community and organizational systems change.  The Masters in Social Work programs are mainly suited for therapy.   I need therapy some days, I certainly don't want to give it!   So, I found an incredible person by chance who is now running for Senate in North Dakota.  We connected immediately.   There was a higher power involved I believe.   She told me about this wonderful program I had never heard of.   A Masters Degree in Community Development with a specialty in Non-profit Management through Great Plains IDEA that is applied for at NDSU.  Hmmm...  Sounded interesting.  


I began researching and found that I am absolutely in love with the program.  So, here I am at Phase 3.  My associates degree, my bachelors degree and now onto my Masters.   All I have to say is, "Wish me luck!"   I might need it!

1 comment:

  1. I probably say this a lot, but I am so proud of you. I also believe Community Development is a MUCH better choice for you. (My opinion). Remember to enjoy each day while you enjoy working toward the future.

    ReplyDelete