Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Interning 101

My first day of my internship, anxious as a ball of nerves, worried me that I may do something dissapointing or embarassing.  I was so worried that I never thought about the fact that I may be dissapointed, which was the case.  It is only day one, so I'm giving the agency the benefit of the doubt, but I could've been back in 3rd grade with the projects I completed. 

I didn't really know what to expect but suspected the first few days would be more job shadowing and learning what everyone does in the agency.  Nope.   After a couple cups of coffee and listening to chit chat, I had the opportunity to fold copious amounts of newsletters, tape them shut, and sort them by zip code.  Exciting! 
I know, it has to be done, but really?   After I completed the project, I was given another mind boggling task.  Find statistics on domestic violence, blow them up in Microsoft Word and cite them, print them, cut them out and glue them onto pretty bright colored paper. 
These were for the public forum we held last night and were taped around the room.  I know that the busy work has to get done, but I guess that it wasn't what I expected to be doing, at all.   I certianly don't bring experience and 4 years of schooling to the plate just to fold and cut out papers.  We will see what today brings, and I have faith that it was just "the day", so lets hope. 

The public forum yesterday evening went well though, other than a poor attendance.  The info. was great though!  Video presented was on what domestic violence is, how to recognize it, what the impact is,  why peope don't leave the situation, and how to help them.  Good stuff!

 As far as attendence goes, in my experience, if you are not out at agencies and interacting one on one trying to pull people in to these types of things, they don't come.  You can advertise on the radio and newspaper all you want, but to get small town locals to attend, its more about relationship building and pulling on those strings.  I may do some research on this today though, and see what info. is out there about it. 
I suppose I better get moving though.  Off to the races for day 2!

4 comments:

  1. I just have to say it's awesome that you not only know what it takes to reach people in a small community, but are just going to dive into learning how to get it done rather than complain that nobody is doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember what we talked about when I told you what I had read about interns?
    I think that no matter what work they give you, it is important to remember that you are the low man on the totem pole right now. You always do your jobs with such a great attitude, and are always willing to chip in. Keep it up here! And hopefully they will quickly realize that you can do so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to what Becky & Michelle said.

    You will have to prove you can do more. Do you have a (daily or weekly meeting) scheduled with the Director where you can address ideas?

    Also, part of learning is knowing this little stuff has to be done too. Maybe if you were not doing it, the Director would be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michelle! I am going to work on it anyway....

    Becky & Aunt Marcia- I know... was just not what I was expecting. However, day 2 was a complete turn around! You'll have to read the next blog. :~)

    ReplyDelete