Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Whirlwind

WOW!  Incredible how a three letter word can contain so much meaning.  I'll get right to the point; I have fallen in love.  The first day at my new internship may have been a disappointment, but the last two have been anything but!   My second day I was organizing my office; that's right, I have an office, with a desk, a computer, a phone, and a window, and one fabulous roomate!   Anyway, sorry about the distraction, I was organizing and going through all these papers.  I brought them to the director going, "What is this, what do I do with it... etc."  She said that the person previously at the desk resigned and dropped the ball on multiple projects. 

Seeing a glimmer of opportunity I said, "Would you like me to take on this project?"  which was responded to by a "Would you like to take them on?"   Me:  "I would love to do this!"  

So, I am the researcher, developer, grant writer, community organizer and facilitator of the new up and coming Youth Empowerment Project (YEP!)  in Park Rapids, MN.  I have found a fabulous model to base it off of, have set up multiple meetings with professionals in the school and the community, have researched and developed interview guides, have met more people than I can remember names for, and have been running to every meeting you can think of in the last two days. 

In addition, I brought a meat and cheese tray, with cheese from our creamery, and crackers and crab dip to work today.  It was yummy! 

Overall, I am going to get exactly what I was hoping for:  project development and management, grant writing, community education and collaboration, and working with one great agency.  I couldn't be happier with my decision at the moment.  Furthermore, two possible job openings were mentioned, tentatively offered, to me today.  One is at the agency and the other with the Hubbard County Drug and Alcohol Task Force.   Who knows where life might lead me yet!

2 comments:

  1. I tried to leave a message last night, but Blogger was down. I am sooo excited for you! Day 2, so much better! Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete