Friday, May 13, 2011

Memories and a Sounding Board

My first week of work officially ended at noon today as I left for my daughters graduation ceremony.  Overall, I couldn't love my job or co-workers much more!  The plethora of interviews have begun and the community support for the YEP! project is very positive.  My boss has already told me she plans to try keeping me there with a "NICE Salary", which was great to hear.  I've began to create a Powerpoint presentation of the program and it's coming along. I am using pictures, a utube video, and am trying to frame the basic concept so it's clear.  Which started me in thinking...  "The best creations come from a conglomoration of perceptions, thoughts and talents.  I have a blog in which I could post thoughts, ask for opinions, and share some of my work in an effort to create the best model with the most potential for success."    So, I've decided to give it a whirl.  If anyone is interested, I may use this blog at times for a sounding board.  Furthermore, I thought I would start today with a simple interview question that I've been asking in my interview guide.  I would like feedback and so where better to start than here.  




Here it is:  What tools, behaviors, words or activities do you think are most effective in empowering troubled youth? 
The board is open for comments!  And if you have a thought, but are not comfortable sharing on the comments, you can private message me @ crabtree8576@yahoo.com   All of the private messages will be confidential.  If you are comfortable writing on my comment board, please do.  I thank you ahead of time for your input! 

A small disclaimer: I may not use all the ideas or comments so please do not take offense.  However, I will definately take them into consideration and do appreciate any feedback.

   
And todays activity:  Taylor quickly pranced hand in hand with another smiling pony tailed girl through the double columns of anxiously awaiting parents during her Kindergarten graduation today.  She smiled in the second row to the top but took the singing very seriously with her eyes on the instructor to make sure she didn't screw up.  When it was their turn, Taylor and her pony tailed friend cautiously approached the microphone and loudly rhymed a verse about W twins, their part of the alphabet to explain.  Eric and I, the proud parents, watched as she was handed her "diploma" and walked to the edge of the room with all smiles.  As the class quickly marched out with their chests puffed out, I recalled my own Kindergarten graduation with fond memories.  We wore caps and gowns, which are not used anymore, and we sang a song about ducks.  That was the end of the memory...  maybe I'm getting old. 

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking of this Karen & am writing up comments in an email. Because I am not a youth counselor, never have been and never will be, my "layperson" comments may be worthless! I am sure very experienced researchers have written tomes on this issue, but I will respond straightforward, as a layperson.

    ReplyDelete