Friday, April 8, 2011

Completing One Day at a Time

A week of finalizing and accomplishments coming to an end...  Yes!!!  My position as a liaison for the NASW has ended as the event "Day at the Capital" was on Monday and was a final hoorah for the social work club this year.  Hearing Governor Dayton speak was such a treat, and I enjoyed the day.  However, my meeting with Senator Hoffman was less than impressive.  Tea Party politics may have affected her ability to just be personable...  I was greeted by complete rudeness and rebutted with inacurate information, with her refusal to listen.  However, I was still polite despiter her brass attitude and thanked her even though I really wanted to shake her and say, "Do you understand what the effects of the cuts you're proposing will do to those children???"  regarding child protective services cuts.  

Yesterday we celebrated the retirement of a phenomenal professor in the Social Work program at BSU.  She has been a professor here for almost 30 years and is just a spitfire!  I will miss her dearly, along with my other professors, new friends, and all the learning that takes place...  But onto new and brighter pastures!
Last night I plugged away three more papers, so the countdown is on.  Only 17 days left of the madness and a heck of a lot of work to do.  If I can roll them out like I did last night I know I'll be fine.  Just gotta keep that momentum going!!

Today I am co-hosting a Single Payer Healthcare Forum in Bemidji which is exciting!  We have two presenters, one a Physicians Assistant and the other a Dr., coming from the cities.  It's purely educational and we have no way of knowing how many people, or who, will show up.   Could be blown up by Tea Partiers in the media so we are supposed to "be prepared for backlash".  Oh well...  I believe that healthcare should be a right and not a privilege, and that all people should be able to afford it, and have equal access.  If it's a crime, then I'm guilty and guess I'll deal with the consequences.  So, lots to get done, so I better get a move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment