Monday, April 11, 2011

Country Walks

This morning was commemorated with my first outdoor walk and I enjoyed every minute!  At 7:30 am, there was only a slight wind, the sun was glowing and spring was calling me.  I even made it 4 miles, all around the country block.  Thought about stopping and only doing 2 miles, but I was enjoying the time to myself so much I just kept going. 

I walked down a gravel road where the water rises and often floods the area.  Upon approach I stopped for a moment and listened to all the delightful sounds and took in the view.  Ducks were lovingly swimming side by side, red wing blackbirds were bouncing on the reeds, and sparrows were dancing in the air as they busily chased one another.  The cattails from last year were swaying slightly as a muskrat swam through them.   The sounds were amazing too!  Chirping, calling, tweeting, quacking, cooing etc.  Everything was beautiful. 

As I walked further, seven deer pranced across the field towards the woods.  I rounded the corner to the next road and several new Angus calves wanted to greet me at the edge of the fence.  I continued on to hear the bellering of their hungry mothers notifying the owners to "wake up and feed us". 

When my legs began to feel like jello, I spotted a Pussy Willow tree in the ditch. 

It was fully bloomed, or whatever you want to call it.  I carefully reached up and plucked two branches off the tree, one for each of the kids.  Remembering when I was young, I thought of how my sisters and I used to pick them from the woods when we were with my dad and bring them home.  Just as I kept walking, I passed a field full of Seagulls that were screeching loudly as they swooped down and around the water logged area.  I figured they were worm hunting, as I stared down at all the earthworms  I stepped over on the edges of the road. 

Upon turning onto the highway to finish the hike home, 2 neighbors passed by, and each of them waved as I trotted along, Pussy Willow branches in hand.  I thought to myself about how fortunate I am to live where I can listen to all the sounds of spring, watch the wildlife each day, have people who live around me that care, to be able to share some part of it with my children, and to be able to walk alone safely.  Which is probably why I love morning walks.  Nothing feels more refreshing than a little sun, good excersize, and so many affirmations as to why I love the country.  

"There is sanctuary in being alone with nature."  Jonathan Lockwood Huie

1 comment:

  1. That was a wonderful post! It made me want to don my walking shoes and head on out. Very descriptive,

    ReplyDelete