Sunday, April 24, 2011

Simple Pleasures- (Thanks Aunt Marcia)

This morning I woke up to my children busily digging, slamming cupboard doors, and yelling, "it's not there", "look here", and "I FOUND IT" as they searched for their Easter Baskets. As I laid in bed, not wanting to get up at 6 am but knowing I had better capture some of the scene, I smiled.  Just listening to the excitement, the suprise, and the 'Oh cool's is enough to make my day. 

After reading my Aunt Marcia's blog about her simple pleasures I began to think about mine.  I don't sit and read books for entertainment much, but I definately have some simple pleasures that have been neglected since I've been in school.  Come Wednesday, they will a regular addendum to my future schedule!
#1:   Spending more time playing, teaching and learning with my children.  I love spending time with the kids in the garden, being outside, explaining how things grow, teaching them about nature, telling stories, baking or cooking with them, and playing games, especially outside.  Priceless!



#2:   Going for walks with my husband.  Eric and I used to walk down the field trail in the afternoon or at dusk to look for deer, remember and appreciate all of the work we've done and what will be done in the future, look at the trees and land, and talk about what we are planting, seeding, picking, plans for the field in the future etc.  I miss that.

#3:   Playing guitar.   I haven't picked up my guitar since Christmas.  I love to write music and just play.  I look forward to that. 

#4:  Outdoors!   I have always loved nature and outdoor activities!  Anything from camping, fishing, hunting, beaching, tanning, mowing the lawn, working in my garden, planting flowers, playing hopscotch with kids, having bonfires, playing with the animals or doing fieldwork.  Something about nature brings me some peace of mind, and I can't wait for this summer!


#5:  My alone time.  Going for walks in the early morning when it's still a little cool outside, the sun is just rising in the sky, and the sounds and sights of nature are beautiful brings me so much peace.  It gives me great thinking time, helps me feel heathier and happier, and is so healing.  I can't wait!  

I think that pretty much sums it up. Spring, summer and fall, when the weather cooperates, are busy with all these things.  These simple, free or almost free activities, bring me so much hapiness.  I am ready for all of it!   Thanks Aunt Marcia for the reminder. :~) 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! Those plans sounds so wonderful, and best of all, they are FREE!! Makes me want to do early morning walks, right when the sun is lifting over the horizon and steam is rising from the lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminders even for those of us not in school! I am too looking forward to you all being able to enjoy those family fun moments!
    Love
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete