Saturday, April 2, 2011

Learning Experiences

An insane week to say the least, but full of great experience!  Three interviews, a short TV3 session, grant meeting, field trip planning, forum planning, class, homework etc.  As crazy as my schedule has been, I've had some excellent opportunities in college, and feel very fortunate that I've been able to take advantage of them.  That being said, I also can't wait till it's all over!!!

I have decided to accept an internship at Headwaters Intervention Center.  Here is the executive director, who is a fabulous woman I must say.  She is fairly new and implementing all kinds of wonderful changes to steer the organization in a positive direction.  I am very impressed!  The organization offers a plethora of opportunities, projects, community involvement and each day brings a new challenge.  I love a challenge, like the flexibility, want to work with the community, and will be able to do more grant writing.  All around, I look forward to all the things that I will learn from the experience!  

I do have some reservations, however, I believe that I am strong enough to handle the situation.  As they are an organization that deals with domestic abuse, they do have walk ins where women have arived covered in bruises, with or without children, and the staff are the immediate interventionists.   Intimidating, yes.  However, I do believe that everything happens for a reason and while I was interviewing, it all just seemed to feel right.  So here's to the best!  Now, the countdown is on.  Only 11 days of driving to Bemidji left, graduation, then internship!!!!   I can't wait.  :~) 

2 comments:

  1. I am excited for you. I think a challenge you will have is not becoming too immersed in the victim's issues. Temper passion with reason, I guess.

    I am fascinated with what you will be doing. If there is any way I can "help", let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing karen! I'm so proud and happy for you!!!! I love you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete