Friday, April 15, 2011

For the Birds, Really!

Brady asked Eric and I the other night, "Mom, daddy, how do birds make a nest?"  Eric began to try to explain as Brady looked at him like, "Are you speaking English?"  I grabbed the computer as I heard a, "mom's on the computer again..." mumble, ignored it, and went right to utube.  I looked up, "how a bird makes a nest" and low and behold, there are multiple videos.  So, the three of us sat down and watched a few videos on how birds make nests. Very cute!  Then on the sidebar where it shows other related videos, Brady pointed at one that had Robin eggs hatching, so we had to watch it. 





Five beautiful blue robin eggs in a nest, and one begins to crack open and out pops the ugliest little bugger.  They are much prettier with feathers...but, it was neat to watch.  Pretty soon we watched turtle eggs hatching and it was the size of a quarter when it was born, so that was neat.  Next it was a dolphin that gave birth, then a giraffe, and finally we watched the development of a joey (a baby kangaroo).  Thanks once again to technology!  Instead of trying to explain like mumbling idiots, utube can show it. Great stuff! 

It's nice to be able to show kids while you explain, I think it helps so much in the learning process.  I learn things much easier when I can "see" them.  Even on a chalk board, a video, a sketching, whatever it is, I retain info. much easier.  Utube is a great resource for information, education, junk, music, almost anything.  I've used it to learn how to play songs on guitar, used videos from a Prof. at the U of M relating to Hmong Populations for a paper, and I've seen it used for promotional purposes as well.  Some of the videos might be "for the birds", but overall, it's a valuable resource and I love it! 

2 comments:

  1. YouTube, you are right, it is a fabulous resource. I never thought about it for showing kids answers to their numerous questions, but I use it to answer mine. Sometimes I "know" an answer but want to explain it better to others...so I do a quick 1-3 minute training on a youtube site.

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just re-read you post and laughed again at how we can start watching one thing (how birds make a nest) and spring from one subject to another...on to the development of a joey. Can you imagine what an education you gave Brady in that short while? So much more than many children get in school. Plus, I bet he will know how to get answers to questions now.

    ReplyDelete