Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Confidence

The outcome of an interview with the Midwest Minnesota Community Development Corporation resulted in a tentative offer for a paid internship doing community assessments.  Yeah!  However, as the corporation itself is not a social work organization and I would have to figure out some details, nothing is final.  I need supervision and there are some stipulations of the supervisory position they would have to agree to.  Yet, it is a phenomenal feeling to have such a prestigous and powerful organization offer me such an opportunity. 

After the interview I was feeling a little overwhelmed and started doing the, "Can I really do this job?  What if I can't do it?  I don't think I can do this..."  kind of thinking.  I hate it when my confidence starts lacking and I beat myself up.  So I decided to write it off as a possibility due to the fact that I convinced myself that I wasn't good enough.  



So I know what you're probably thinking...  KAREN- Wake up!!!  right?  Well, yesterday I had a conversation with a couple good friends of mine at school.   It was like dumping water over my head.  I started doing a virtual, "phlewwwbbb"  as my eyes blinked wildly and my lips vibrated from the imaginary water.  I woke up and had the startling realization that, "I can do it!" 



I still plan on doing my other interviews, but I am much more confident once again in my skill ability to fullfill the position.  A paid position, a fabulous and scarce opportunity, and it's community improvement work.  Just what I want!  I will make a final decision in a couple weeks, but I love having options and a great lead.  I have to say, I have some amazing friends!  and family, but that's another story. :~) 

2 comments:

  1. I am excited for you. I cannot tell you how many times I have had the same feeling, but everything worked out. Never be afraid to ask questions or ask for advice (from anyone). What a relief it is to realize you DON'T have to know everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (By the way, I am familiar with this organization - they support the ITOW)

    ReplyDelete