Friday, March 4, 2011

Melting My Heart

  
  The last few days my husband has surprised me, and not in a "Boo", jumping around the corner kind of way. I know that he is a good man and has a big heart, but his rough and tough attitude, boisterous voice, and intense ego sometimes make it difficult for others to see.  However, he has changed so much and I couldn't be prouder.   We were talking about a situation in the area where a local boy who is on the wrestling team was suspended early in the year from participating in matches because he had gotten in trouble with the law.  There were other boys involved with the situation as well, and they were all punished.  A few weeks ago the coach decided that the boy could begin wrestling at matches again and he is taking a lot of heat for it.  Why was I impressed with Eric?  He told me that he believed that the boy needs to have something to work for, strive for, and that wrestling might be the only thing that can keep the boy out of trouble and take him somewhere in life.  The family doesn't have one of the fortunate last names in town, they don't have much education, no money for college, but this boy is a fantastic wrestler.  Needless to say, I was impressed that Eric could see how kicking the boy off the team for the whole year would probably do more damage than good.  
 
But this wasn't the end of it...  I am writing a grant for a social service agency, as I've mentioned before.  At first Eric thought this was a waste of my time and I was frustrated.  However, after I have explained the idea, how it will work, the difference it could make and how excited I am about it, he had a totally different attitude.  Instead he began throwing out ideas, casting out names of people to call, and talked about it all evening.  I went to feed calves and when I came back the discussion went on.  This is where I found myself almost in tears...   He talked about how when I begin working that I should still do some freelance grant writing because he would like to take any money that I would make from it to start a scholarship fund for local kids that want to go into some type of agricultural program.  I think it's a great idea of course!  But moreso, this just reiterated to me that no matter how tough he seems on the outside, that deep down he is very loving and caring, and it about melted my heart.  Every day I find reminders of why I fell in love with him, and find a deeper appreciation of that as time goes by.  Now, if I can just get him to do dishes we'll really be making progress! ;~)

3 comments:

  1. That is so so sweet, Karen. I agree that it is hard for outsiders to see the softer side of Eric (like the softer side of Sears??), but this and your other stories show just how important you are to him, and how much he cares about you. I read something today that your discussion about the wrestler reminded me of...http://www.dooce.com/2011/03/03/wherein-i-actually-approach-subject-sports

    Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the article! Great ethical points... I would have to say that I have some mixed feelings about this. Yes, BYU students know full well coming in what the rules are and they know the consequences if they break them. Should rules be enforced, yes. However, what is kicking a talented BBall player, a smart student, and a soon to be father out of school and off the team really accomplishing for anyone? Is it helping the school? Is it helping the student? Is it helping anyone at all? Not in my opinion. Therefore, I believe that alternatives should be made for situations where people break rules. Punitive measures don't delete problems, they just shove them somewhere else. Therapeutic and preventitive measures, before or after the fact, are more effective for the parties usually, and are actually cost-effective. Why not suspend the player from some games- some punishment is needed-, get him in counseling-individual and maybe couples, and use him as a poster boy to educate others on "what not to do". I don't know, maybe that's not the right answer either, and there really is no right answer, but I think their response is possibly the most ignorant one possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog, Karen. Thank you for pointing out the mushy part of Eric. Now he will wonder why I am giving him a big hug next time I see him ("Hey, what's up with your Aunt, Karen. She's hugging me and telling me what a remarkable philanthropist I am..." LOL)

    About the BYU student. He signed a contract document - and is now paying for breaking that contract. Sure, BYU may not "be a cool school" or "in touch with today's morality", but they have both the right to keep & to have their high standards followed. (I did not read the article you sent to Karen, I am just going by MPR news info & my experience with Bruce's LDS/Mormon family).

    ReplyDelete