Friday, March 18, 2011

Nerves....

Nerves are funny things.  Yesterday I had to give a presentation to my class on one of my capstone projects.  It was on the nursing home equalization rate, in essence, the way that nursing homes are paid for Medicaid patients, which happens to make up about 70% of their income.  It's inadequate as the state only reimburses 87% of the actual cost which is why Minnesota nursing homes are struggling.  Long story, but very sad future outlook.  Anyway, it was a 5 minute persuasive speech and even though I know all the members of my class very well, and my professor, I still got nervous.  It went well though.

Today I have an interview at the MMCDC in Detroit Lakes.  They work throughout the state offering capital investments for people, businesses and communities.  It's not exactly a social work organization, but my futuristic sense can see a link and a possible future opportunity of how the two fields could work together.  Regardless of whether they find that a position would work out, it's still good experience.  But again, I am quite nervous. 

I spoke to Lars' dad today about visitation.  Lars is coming from Sunday- Sunday which is fabulous.  However, Annette, Hans' soon to be ex-wife, is claiming that she wanted to see Lars this weekend and is threatening to take Hans to court because he is trying to keep their children apart.  Apparently it is part of their court agreement to not try to do so.  Hans isn't changing the schedule but wanted to warn me of the possibility of a court hearing and asking if I would write an affadavid for him if it happened stating that we had visitation scheduled, which we did, so that she wouldn't have a case.   All I have to say is that the woman is insane!  Needless to say, my nerves were making my hair on my arms stand up.  Gotta love nerves....

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are overcoming your nerves and getting things done! Also, she is pretty crazy. I'm glad things are generally going better for you with regards to L's dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this woman is still trying to influence/dictate the time you spend with YOUR son. She is nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to what your mom said. Crazy!!

    MMCDC - they do good for communities. Would give you some power to work there.

    Nerves. The more public speaking you do, the easier it gets. But, nerves are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. she's trying to control lars' time with her!? crazy lady. hope it works out for lars to be with you karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding nerves and public speaking, interviews, and the like:
    I've always tried to look at pre-performance jitters as the good kind of nerves. They make you hyper-alert and often bring out the best performance, words, ideas, etc. As long as they're not debilitating, I think they're actually useful. Also, I try to remind myself that many times when I've admitted after an event to being VERY nervous (such as during my successful job interview last week), others tell me they couldn't even tell. Maybe the nerves even helped!
    Congrats on the presentation, Karen, good luck with the interview, and prayers for dealing with the Annette situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Sounds like you have your hands full. Situations like that are terrible and no one wins in divorces. When I went through mine; stories got so mixed up that no one knew what the truth was. Just curious, did your ex tell you specifically that he told her that Lars was going to be gone this weekend with you? He might have left out very important details to you and to her to make himself look better. It’s funny how you spend so many years fighting with one person until they need something, and then they all of a sudden become your ally. One would think that if he told her Lars was going with you this weekend then there wouldn’t have been a problem because everyone knows that the court would look at your court order and rule on the side of the biological parent visitation, therefore she wouldn't have a case anyway. That is unless you and your ex are not following your court order. Lars must not have school this week and that is awesome that he gets to spend a whole week with you. Lars needs his mom, but he also doesn’t need everyone fighting and lying kids pick up on those things so quickly. Maybe the woman is crazy but I have learned that you cannot trust anyone that you fought with for so many years and then because they need your help they become your ally. There were reasons you left your ex and I just don’t want to see you get hurt. Good luck with everything and hope you have a fabulous week with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great points from all! Nerves are important and I'm not debilitated, which is a good thing. ;~) And good news, the interview went great!

    And yes, Annette = insane. However, really good advice from anonymous, so thank you! I do try to keep things in perspective about what motives are but sometimes it is hard to see from an objective point of view. So good thoughts. :~)

    ReplyDelete