Friday, February 11, 2011

I don't know...

I usually do my blogging in the morning and lately have been reading more and more of other people's blogs which I have really come to enjoy.  However, it leaves me thinking about what I could possibly write about that's fascinating?  I don't know...  Then I thought about how busy my life is and how there must be something... but nope, still blank.  Maybe I should start drinking fancy tea, isn't that what smart people do?? ;~)   I shortly realized after waking up further that I don't have to write something that could be on the front page of the news for it to be somewhat interesting.  So here's what I got...

Lately my family has been discussing careers and strengths and dreams.  This is inspiring.  I remember when I decided to return to school, all the fears, worries, "what am I going to do", "where will I get a job" etc.  Now I will be graduating with a Bachelors of Science Degree in Social Work in May.  I don't have an official plan yet, but I know it's going to be okay.   Yesterday I had a discussion with one of my professors who has a vision for me I think...  Led to great conversation, but what she is thinking about would be a 1 hour drive from here.  That's a haul for an unpaid internship.  It would be challenging, out of my zone, would expand my horizons and I believe would be an incredible experience.  But I just don't know what I want.... 

I take that back, I do know I want to make the world a better place, specifically Minnesota.  Narrowing it down a little, I want to work with adults more than children.  That's where I get lost.  I feel like the more I learn, the more I realize that I really don't know anything.  I want to step outside of my comfort zone and experience so many things, yet it is kind of a scary thought.  I've worked in the medical field for 10 years with elderly and I know I love that, but I don't know much else, and maybe I would love something else just as much, or more.  Since most places around here are very open to having interns I feel that I have so many choices and am being pulled 6 directions.    So, after writing this out I think my plan is to do multiple interviews to feel out the agencies and what might be the best fit for me.  I guess I'll start there and hopefully the rest will fall into place. 

2 comments:

  1. Karen, with the "graying of america" and how the older generation can be targeted and mistreated, we need someone like you - if you love working with older people, maybe that's your calling (for the big picturea).

    I worry about how my family or I might get treated, cared for or taken advantage of when or if we go into a care facility...or even if we have someone come to our home to care for us. Bruce's grandmother was an example of someone financially abused & taken advantage of. I was horrified how the elderly are targeted by both legitimate and illegitimate companies AND by individials assigned to care for them.

    It goes beyond caretakers to financial management people. A couple years ago in S. MN a financial investor inserted himself into the hearts of two, old retired people who owned a farm and had a bit over $300K saved. When he was done with them, they had nothing.

    We need "advocates for the elderly", do you think that could be your mission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very passionate about culturally competent and quality care for the elderly. I could definately see myself as an advocate, problems that arise with that are: lack of jobs in this area, poor pay and lack of benefits associated with jobs (health care is big since we dairy farm). You never know, I am really leaning towards interning with Community Action in NY Mills which probably has a program dealing with elderly, but I'm not sure... This is why I am leaning towards Nursing Home Administration which provides for making these changes in a facility at least.

    Stories like that just make me sick.... I am in Gerontology right now and the 20 page paper I'm writing is a lot on demographics, but deals with the aging demographics of the U.S. Sadly, the abuse is most likely to get worse as the "graying of America" continues just due to the high elderly population, the poor economy, and the lack of filial piety in our society. I could go on forever, so I better shut up now... :~)

    ReplyDelete