Monday, February 14, 2011

Pregnant, Homeless and in High School

A young woman I've known for 5 years called on Saturday from a homeless shelter for women in Fargo.  At 7 months pregnant, and 3 months from graduating from high school she was homeless and needed help.  I picked her up at 9:30 this morning and welcomed her into our 2 bedroom home with 4 people living in it which she was ecstatic about.  We came up with a plan together of how to go about the situation.  To the school to meet with the social worker, call the bus garage to line up transportation, call the local housing agency, visit the county services agency to see what's available etc.  Let me tell you, this sounds much simpler than it turned out to be. 

The school counselor was excellent!  Positive attitude, extremely helpful and passionate about her job.  I couldn't have been more impressed.  Local housing agency was okay, but they can't do much because they have little funding which is in serious jeapordy of being cut further by the state right now.  If I evict her and she can find low income housing, and she can find a job to show that she will be able to pay rent, they could possibly get her down payment and first months rent paid but then she's on her own.

County was severely frustrating...  Because I am letting her stay with me, even though her home place was in Ottertail County, we had to go all the way back to Becker County to do paperwork.  If I just left her there or told her she couldn't stay with me, then she could do paperwork in Ottertail.  Ugh... So back to D.L. we went. 

On the way I had a conversation with the bus garage which was frustrating also.  I understand that we are a couple miles past their district, however, there is a federal law that states that the school must provide transportation for homeless children to attend their home school within reason, which I had to explain to the bus garage.  Result:  I have to drive her 3 miles to meet the bus which comes 8 minutes before Taylor is supposed to get on her bus.  Fun, fun, fun!  Being cordial and nice can be difficult at times when you know you can't pick up a child at 4 pm when you're not home and it's too far to walk.  After some discussion and making a couple phone calls myself, I at least can look forward to our conversation tomorrow after they talk to the Superintendent and others about the situation.   All I have to say is thank you for all the resources and AMAZING women such as Liz Kuoppela of the Homeless Coalition of Minnesota for taking the time to talk to me today!

After getting to the other county frustration set in as the first worker we were matched with was less than happy to be working with us.  I let my young friend do the talking today for the most part, however, at this point I had to intervene and reiterate the situation.  "She is 7 months pregnant, a senior in high school, and currently homeless!"  This must have got the point across and she paired us with another person who was WONDERFUL!  Thank goodness for positive social workers in this world! 

The result is that the counties have no money for housing either.  So we are still working on the situation... more phone calls, appointments and advocating to do in order to get this girl through school and in some kind of housing that is stable for her and the soon to be newborn.  Thinking about going to a local church to see if maybe they would do some kind of sponsorship.  I just don't know and am running out of options... if anyone has any suggestions let me know.  Till then...

6 comments:

  1. Karen, the last thing you said about talking to a church is exactly what I was going to suggest. If the first one you talk to sounds unhelpful, don't stop there. Keep trying until you find one that sounds helpful and compassionate! I'm praying for this young woman--and you! Sounds like she is very brave, and you are really making a difference in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lutheran (Brotherhood?) and Catholic Services used to help pregnant teens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Nicole! We both appreciate it very much!

    The local Lutheran chapter and Catholic Services are on a list to be calling tomorrow, thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just another thought....the St. Gianna Maternity Home in Minto, ND is a great place for pregnant moms. They provide housing and so much more for girls in this situation. http://saintgiannahome.org/

    I have heard such wonderful things about them from other families who have been in your exact situation. Sometimes taking someone in is meant with the best of intentions, but can become increasingly stressful and resentful as time goes on. Perhaps this could be another alternative to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous has a great suggestion - while I don't know this particular home, I do know they are wonderful, nurturing places that support education and pregnant teens without looking down on them. Again,usually social services pays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your suggestion so much, I can't even tell you! Thank you anonymous :~) Trying to keep her where her support system is for now and we will see where that goes... going to talk to local churches on Friday. I think in a rural area they may be more willing to help than Metro... we'll see. Will be looking into this type of transitional housing as an option though. Even though social services in general have no funding I know there are options such as transitional housing which are out of the area. Stress is right though... even though I feel it isn't much stress, Eric feels otherwise. Very upset with the situation, not at the girl, but the overall support situation. Sad when families can't/won't step up to the plate.

    ReplyDelete