Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Non-profits and assumptions

Chaos has officially taken over and my mind is finding its way back to sanity by doing some catching up today...  Housing options: check, possible intern sites: check, family violence papers: check, childrens roomed cleaned: check, spaghetti feed fund raiser info.: check, Day at the Capital presentations: check    And now a sigh of relief:   Aaaaahhhhhh......

I've learned a lot in the past week so my mind is officially on the move.  Did you know that people assume way to many things.  Note to self: as a future social worker assume NOTHING!  By accident we found that there are homeless housing programs that are offered if you have been kicked out of housing more than 4 times in 3 years.  I was exstatic and I made the worker we happened to be with call the agency back, who had assumed that my young friend didn't qualify and I talked to them about the program.  Even though they do not have any openings currently, she is on a waiting list, so until then we are hanging in there. 
Possible intern sites were on the agenda for today and I've decided to explore the non-profit world!  With the strengths I have, the tasks that I enjoy doing, and the connections I've made it just seems to fit.  Met with a fabulous agency from Mahnomen, but too far of a drive.  Darnit....   So now I am exploring other options in the area.  I am really looking forward to this next step in my life, very anxious, very intrigued with possibilities, but excited!  Even though the non-profit world suffers from lack of funding, lack of benefits, lack of resources in general, I feel up to the challege.  I really want to make a difference and believe I would be an asset.  So possible intern sites: Habitat for Humanity, Boys and Girls Club, Headwaters Intervention Agency, Lakes Crisis Center, Mahube or Community Action and more... 

Maybe I will be doing 20 interviews instead of 5, you never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment