Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Absorbing

My mind was swimming by 5 a.m. this morning.  Papers to write, reading to do, laundry to do, dishes from supper etc....  So here I've been sitting in my recliner just writing away and taking a couple 5 min. breaks here and there to do laundry.  Dishes can always wait... 

One of the articles I'm reading is one of the many by Maria Yellow Horse Brave Heart who I really enjoy.  Native history and culture is fascinating to me and I find that when I read about it I feel like I just can't absorb enough information to satisfy my curiosity.  I took a very simple Native American course this last summer that briefly touched on multiple dimensions, but none very deeply, and even all the education we've done is not satisfying enough to me.  I feel that I am quite educated on the history and historical trauma, but want to know so much more about their culture. 

This led me to the decision that I am going to bring my children to a pow-wow this summer.  What better way to learn than to immerse yourself in culture, right?  I also have a Native American friend whom is an incredibly strong and inspiring woman, and I'm sure would let me tap her brain for information as well.  She's taught me a few words and traditions in Ojibwe already which has been wonderful!

Anyway, my son just asked me if I could open a bag of cookies for him, so I suppose that was a hint that I should make breakfast. 
In appreciation to those that read and post,
Migwetch! 

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Karen. Awesome that you are so interested in your school work, awesome that you are learning about another culture, and awesome that you are going to help your kids to learn about/experience it, at least a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Becky says. Maybe take the kids to the head of Mississippi, the lodge @ the park has some great local Indian history with an interactive focus for kids.

    Bruce's heritage is Tlingit Indian from Alaska. (pronounced "klinket"). We went to the Alaska State Museum in Juneau and Bruce also met a Tlingit native woman who was married to a friend of ours. She and Bruce looked like sister and brother. (Bruce is adopted).

    It reminds me that I have some great AK art tiles to put up somewhere and some artwork to do in the Tlingit tradition! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! I've taken them to Itasca years ago, but should go again. I love the hikes as well. I have multiple books, I'm afraid they could care less about now, but for the future anyway.

    I read some about the Tlingit's in one of my classes. Exploring heritage is so fullfilling, great that Uncle Bruce has been able to do that. Just watched a movie on netflix called Snow Walkers- about a young white man and a young woman who I believe was Tlingit. Great movie, I think you would enjoy it!
    I would love to see the tiles by the way. :~)

    ReplyDelete