Friday, January 14, 2011

Asparagus

 I love asparagus!  Today is a new day and I am starting on a low carb diet.  I did really well with this last year and followed it for 9 months.  Then I went back to school in the fall and fell off the wagon resorting to cheeseburgers, curly fries, pizza, and nacho tator tots.  With my new found ambition I decided that today was the "official day", which means grocery shopping. 

One of my favorite low carb diet veggies is asparagus.  Cheesy, creamed, tossed in butter, grilled, wrapped in bacon, chopped in salad, or chopped over a mushroom and swiss with fried onions...   (this is making me hungry)  There are so many great ways to eat asparagus.   However, when I went shopping I saw the price and wanted to keel over. $6.99 per lb.  This is ludicrous!!!  Maybe we should plant all our fields in asparagus this spring... or not, but it's tempting for that price. 

This brought me to the thought that I can completely understand why children and adults eat unhealthy and we have an obesity problem in the U.S.   No one can afford to eat healthy anymore!  If you can buy mac-n-cheese and a pac of hotdogs for $2 why would you buy asparagus for $6.99 per lb.  Something is wrong here...  

I have to do two capstone assignments this year for class and this really makes me think that I should do something on sustainable farming and community gardening.   Hopefully some day when life isn't so hectic I can at least make a change in my local community to implement these things.  In the meantime, I don't think I will be eating much asparagus. 

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy! I have to admit, I don't even pay attention to how much asparagus is when we buy it, because we are usually planning on making it for dinner that night and so I just get it. It's not something you can get the generic version of, you know? I'll have to pay more attention. It probably doesn't help that it's out of season, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the spring, asparagus grows wild around here...(I believe). Yes, we should plant asparagus. My sandy yard would be a good place. Grandma used to have asparagus growing wild directly in front of house by Elmer's field. Guess it finally died.

    It has been on the news the last few days...more healthy foods, produce will be coming to schools. Required by (FDA). Maybe we can get a part time job at the local school so we can have some expensive fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete