Saturday, January 8, 2011

Conjumbled

I've really been trying to work with my 2 youngest children on being kind and sensitive to people, especially each other.  They are extremely competivive, which probably comes from my husband and I since we are as well, but it has led to some very naughty behaviors. (For the children I mean :~)  The name calling, declaring who is better constantly, and the fighting has become unbearable.  Lately I feel like we are gaining some ground and that they are understanding the, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" concept.  So this morning I hear Brady call Taylor a name and she says, "Brady how would you feel if someone called you that name?  It would feel bad, wouldn't it."  Brady responds, "Well how would it feel if someone kicked someone in the nuts?  That would feel bad too!"   Not sure if this is the result I was looking for, however I guess I should be happy that he is understanding the concept... 

In other news, a good friend of mine was in town so we had dinner and went browsing around window shopping.  Her dad passed away, the service was the day before and I could see the pain she was having.  We had a nice time, but I feel like I should have said more to console her.  When it comes to the matter of loosing a loved one, I feel like the words get conjumbled in my head and I don't know what to say.  I listen and try to understand, but I have never lost a close loved one, so therefore I just don't know what to say.  I can't imagine how difficult it is or how much it would cross my mind.  So I try to think, "What would I want to hear?"  But I can't think of anything that would make it better, so I just try to be there to listen. 

These situations is where my husband is a saint.  He lost his father quite a few years ago, has lost his grandparents, and a good friend throughout his life.  He can look at someone and know exactly what to say and has a way with words in this situation.  Standing back, I can see how much his words mean to people.  He spoke to my friend on the phone, and I don't know what he said exactly, but she was moved by his words.  I was glad and relieved that in my loss of words, that she found some comfort and relief maybe in his. 

For those that don't know my husband, he is not the really sensitive, or tactfull type of person.  But, he is genuine and loving, and his ability to be a connoisseur in these situations makes me love him all the more. 

3 comments:

  1. The inspiration continues, I have decided to start a blog. Not sure how often I will get to it but I think it will be helpful. Thank you for inspiring me! ;) <3

    P.S. I will also be making a list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love blogging I have decided, and look forward to each new entry. Great way to just get things out of your head on paper, and you can look back and laugh, or be thankful. I am finding my list very helpful! I can cross off another entry today. Well, I look forward to reading your blog!!! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. So I just about laughed myself sick. I'm proud of the kids for understanding that things can be hurtful, but Brady's comment busted me up!!!

    ReplyDelete