Sunday, January 9, 2011

Modern Technology

This morning, thanks to my horrible eyesight, I was thinking about technology.  It all started with a phone call at about 7 a.m. from my husband.  We dairy farm, and I usually tend to not get up at 5 am with my husband.  I prefer helping with chores in the evening, which means waking up around 7ish with the kids, doing house chores in the am and making breakfast.  Well, this morning I hadn't woke up yet and my husband needed my help immediately.  He needed assistance with a cow that was in the barn and she was ready to go out.  With my brain not quite functioning I was searching for my contacts with no success, so I decided to go to the barn without them in.  (I don't have glasses for backup either)  So, I was helping out for a few minutes with the problem cow and then Eric said he needed to go fill the wood stove.  So I am alone in the barn, which is normally fine, but being half blind is a little different.   I was trying to see when the milkers were done, so I had my head pretty close to the cows feet, yet was still safe, and one stomped and scared the living %$#% out of me.  Even though you know they can't hurt you because there is a bar separating them from you, it still got to me. 

This is when I started thinking about modern technology.  Farming used to be the way of life pre-industrial revolution.  Even though glasses may have existed, how many people actually had them, and how well did they work?  How in the heck people could farm, without the technology and without great vision is beyond me.  I have difficulty functioning without my contacts.  This also makes me think about my grandpa who is legally blind.  I give him so much credit; he is an amazing man and lets nothing stop him.  That is a whole nother story though.  So needless to say, technology, contacts, glasses, laser surgery; all priceless inventions.  And lesson learned: don't go to the barn without my contacts. 

P.S.  I did find them when I came back in.  They fell on the floor next to the bathroom counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment